How can something so simple be so delicious?!
This deep fried rice cake recipe is extra close to my heart as it is the reminder of my nostalgic childhood memories of living in ShangHai. It is part of my childhood, a beloved street food that was just for a few cents at a time in Shanghai. It was such a warm treat in the freezing cold winter afternoon.
This salted glutinous rice cake doesn’t have fancy stuffing or pretty garnish. it is made with only a trio of ingredients, rice, salt and water ,which are cooked, shaped into blocks and deep fried. It is crispy outside and savory and soft inside. Simple yet tasty.
- Use both short grain sticky rice and normal short grain rice with 1:1 ratio. Add a bit extra more water to make the rice more glutinous.
- Wait till the oil heated up then add the rice blocks so the crust forms quickly while keeping the inside moist. (dip a chopstick into the oil. If the oil starts steadily bubbling, then the oil is hot enough for frying.)
Deep Fried Rice Cake
- 1 cup short grain sticky rice
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 teaspoon salt (adjust to your liking)
- 2.5 cup water
- 1 L oil
- Mixed two types of rice, water and salt to a rice cooker. Cook until it is ready.
- Transfer the rice to a container. Press the rice so they are firmly sticking together. Leave it in fridge over night.
- Cut the rice to rectangles. Heat the oil and deep fry the rice cake until it is golden
You might also like: