Sometimes it’s the small touches that make the biggest difference. It is this surprising secret ingredient to make the classic Peruvian raw fish salad (ceviche) tastier than ever: fresh pineapple juice. The pineapple juice gives a delicate hint of tropical sweetness and transforms a simple receipt into a magical dish.
Enjoy this healthy and refreshing Peruvian raw fish salad with Peruvian music on a hot day and daydream about your South American travels!
- Fresh white fish with a relatively firm texture, like that of snapper, Gurnard, tarakihi, or warehou is the best choice.
- Use a 3:1 ratio of Lemon Juice to water to dilute the acidity of the lemon juice.
Peruvian Raw Fish Salad
- 250 g fresh gurnard fillets (slice to 1/2 cm thick pieces)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup pineapple (chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (finely sliced)
- 1/4 cup coriander (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoon corn
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sweet potato chips (optional)
- Blend the chopped pineapple until smooth puree and drain out 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice.
- In a large bowl, add the lemon juice,pineapple juice, onion, salt, toss together and leave in the fridge to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the fish and mix with coriander and corn. Serve with sweet potato chips.