This comforting fish rice porridge is a staple rice dish in Chinese cuisine. It is a classic restorative food feeds your soul as well as your belly. Rice is cooked with a much higher ratio of water to grain and simmered until mush, making it both easy to digest and incredibly nutritious. It will warm you up and give you a comfy hug in food form, the Asian equivalent of a bowl of chicken soup.
This recipe calls for the freshest ocean fish for the best result, preferably caught off the shore just hours ago, which gives the fresh caught sweet taste.
Simmering the rice to form a smooth and creamy texture takes a few hours. Freezing the soaked rice will help to break down carbohydrates and reduce the cooking time.
Fish Rice Porridge
This comforting fish rice porridge is a classic restorative food that is easy to digest and incredibly nutritious.Print Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup short grain rice
- 1.5 L water
- 250 g fish fillet (cut to 1cm thick pieces)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 5 slice ginger (cut into thin slivers)
- 2 tablespoon spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- Soak the rice in water for halp hour, drain the water and freeze the wet rice overnight
- Add the frozen rice and water to a pot. Turn the heat to low, put on the lid, and simmer for 20 minutes or until it is mush. Stir occasionally. Add some water if it gets too thick.
- Season the fish slices with a pinch of salt and pepper, add the corn flour, 1 teaspoon of water and mix well. Leave it in the fridge until the rice is cooked.
- Add salt,pepper and ginger silvers to the rice porridge. Stir in the fish slices and turn off the heat. The fish slices will be cooked through by the hot rice porridge slowly in a few minutes.
- Garnish with peanut and spring onion and serve
Calories: 545kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 40gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 3751mgPotassium: 752mgFiber: 6gSugar: 0.3gVitamin A: 60IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 96mgIron: 4mg