The bok choy rice is a classic Shanghai one bowl meal made with the salted pork belly and bok choy. It is a simple and easy family favorite in many homes in Shanghai.
Living overseas and away from home, it is difficult to find all the right ingredients. To make my own homemade versions of these familiar comfort foods I have to find the suitable swaps for some ingredients. In this recipe, the smoked shoulder bacon is the perfect substitute for the salted pork belly.
The plump and glossy rice is nicely infused with the smoky bacon flavour and threaded with the bright green bok choy. It is flavourful and irresistible, all you need for an easy, healthy and filling meal.
- This dish is usually made with short grain white rice.
- The rice and water ratio is 1:1.2 for cooking in the rice cooker.
- The original recipe requires lard as the cooking fat. I replace it with the good quality olive oil.
- There is some variation in salt levels in bacon. Taste the fried bacon before seasoning.
Simple Bok Choy Rice
The bok choy rice is nicely infused with the smoky bacon flavour and threaded with the bright green bok choy. All you need for an easy, healthy and filling meal.Print Pin Rate
- 1 cup rice
- 1.2 cup water
- 250 g bok choy (finely chopped, separate the white parts and the leafy green parts)
- 100 g smoked shoulder bacon (cut into 1cm pieces)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add rice and water to the rice cooker until it is cooked.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and bacon and cook until the bacon is lightly golden. Set aside the bacon and leave the oil in the frying pan.
- Add the white parts of bok choy and cook until they are tender. Stir in the cooked rice, bacon and the green parts of bok choy, season with salt and cook until the bok choy is cooked. (Bonus point: If you press the rice into the bottom of the pan to let it develop a bit of a crispy crust, yum...)
Calories: 801kcalCarbohydrates: 77gProtein: 15gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 444mgPotassium: 521mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 5604IUVitamin C: 56mgCalcium: 164mgIron: 2mg