Warm up your winter evening with this nutty, sweet and creamy pumpkin soup. There is nothing better than dunking crusty bread into a hot bowl of soup.
Making the pumpkin soup without blending is a healthier twist on this classic recipe. Blending veggies destroys the fiber which is an essential part of a healthy diet. As well as aiding digestion, fiber adds bulk to your diet and increases feeling of fullness, a key factor in maintaining a healthy weight.
- 1 kg pumpkin, remove the seeds
- half an onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crashed
- 40g butter
- 1 L water or vegetable stock
- 100 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- Cut the pumpkin into medium- sized chunks. Microwave on high power for 5-7 minutes or roast in the oven at 180c for half an hour until soft. Remove the pumpkin skin and dice into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes until golden.
- Add pumpkin, water, cream, salt, simmer for half an hour until the pumpkin is soft.
- Mash the soup with a potato masher, adding a little more water if you like a thinner consistency.
- Add toasted pine nuts and black pepper before serve.