Tasty food is not starting from the kitchen, they start from nature.
The two flavorful and natural ingredients in this recipe, the stewing hen and shiitakes mushrooms are the basis of these super-comforting and tasty homemade chicken soup.
Stewing hens are laying hens that are no longer productive egg producers. They have lived long and full lives to develop a richer chicken flavor than that of chickens bred for meat production. Their meat is tougher and need to be cooked at a low heat for several hours before they will become tender.
The flavor of dried Shiitakes mushrooms is concentrated and intense. Their meaty texture, woody and smoky flavor lends rich depth to this chicken soup.
- one table hen, cut to pieces
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2-3 tablespoons of fish source
- 10 medium size Shiitakes mushrooms
- Place chicken in a large stock pot and cover it with water. Season with wine and fish source
- Bring to boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 3 hours until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir the meat from time to time, remove the scum as it forms and add more water whenever necessary so that the chicken is completely covered at all time.