This fried spring onion and noodles dish is not only a traditional Shanghai meal, it is also a part of my childhood. I grew up with my grandma in Shanghai and the narrow backstreets, the small neighborhood community and the smell of cooking from everyone’s home, forever hold a place in my heart.
The dish is so simple and delicious. The sauce can be stored in the fridge for weeks.
- Cut 3-4 spring onions in 10cm lengths.
- In a fry pan, heat a half cup of cooking oil and the spring onion over low-medium heat. Fry the spring onion till lightly brown.
- Turn off the heat. Pour and stir in a half of cup of soy sauce and two teaspoons of sugar. Use the remaining heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook and drain the noodles. Add two or three table spoons of the fried spring onion sauce to the noodles.
- Toss, mix everything and serve.