“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
With only potato and sugar, you can have a playful dish like this. It is a dessert from Lu cuisine, which is one of the eight culinary traditions of Chinese cuisine.
The plain sugar can turn into many forms through the cooking, from sandy white to bubbly clear liquid to golden syrup. Shapes and patterns can be made with the syrup.
- Half cup of sugar
- two tablespoons of water
- two potatoes cut into 2 cm cubes
- toasted sesames (optional)
- Deep fry potato cubes until they turn to light brown, or roast in the oven with a bit of oil (180 degree, 15-20 minutes)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. It will turn to a clear liquid then crystallized and eventually becomes the golden brown syrup.
- Reduce heat and carefully add the potatoes. Stir gently until potatoes are coated.
- Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds and serve.
- 将土豆切成两厘米的小块，油炸成金黄色。 或者和上油，180度烤箱，烤15-20 分钟。